These are the musings of a retired male. Some may be interesting, some may be boring, but all will be true. It will contain info om PEI and some links I find interesting. Pull up a chair and enjoy.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

ROAST BEEF FOR SUPPER

Here it is Saturday and I am home doing my blog, one of the many joys of enjoying a well decerved retirement. With this part of your life you pretty well get to do what you want when you want if you do not get too tied up in joining voulinteer groups which I have been doing lately but have decided to do a little less for others and a little more for me. Not being self centered just I was too busy and it was starting to be like work with not to much joy. I spent 3 months with a couple of friends working on a project for a group and had someone come in at the last minute, shanghi my work & change it around to their idea. Kind of PO'd me and they will need help down the road as his new plan will not work and as much as I think of the group if I am ask the answer in a resounding "NO". So much for that now I got it off my mind I feel better, thanks for the ear folks.

It is 1:05PM here and at 2;00PM I will be putting a roast of beef in the oven for supper, with luck Mary will be home to finish it up as I will cook it but she will make the gravy and put the finishing touched on it. The first 3 years I was retired I not only did a lot of cooking but also baking. I still cook a bit but have gave up the baking. I was not all that bad but since I am diabetic and Mary is on a perminant diet it does not get ate so what the hell. The second Christmas I was home I made about 6 different squares & 4 different cookies but most never got eat, not only a waste of time but a waste of money. I don't mind doing something if it gets used or appreciated.
Now back to my roast, I will peel 3 onions, slice them and stick them on the roast with toothpicks as we find it not only gives the roast a good flavor but also makes a big difference in the gravy. I will also slice up some mushroons for the gravy as I think the best gravy in the world is mushroon, onion, beef gravy and it is never better than when it is served over the world's best PEI potatoes. Wish you were all here to share it with me as I swear that Mary makes the best gravy in the world and it is so good that it should be shared. I believe all good things should be shared as I think that it would bring us all together as a people.

Another amazing fact I read the other day is there is enough food in the world so that there is no need for anyone to be hungry, just not enough money to buy it. This is sad as I know on PEI the last few years potatoes were not worth very much and no one wanted to buy them even though the price was so low. In the spring a few were given to the local food bank and the rest were plowed under in the fields. Too bad some group could not have chartered some boats and give them to some hungry people in need.

Gas & heating oil prices have gone up to where I don't know how shareholder in the big oil companys can sleep night knowing this winter way too many people will have to make a choice whether to eat or be warm and I am not fooling. The local food banks are already in trouble so many people are lining up for food, they now only provide enough food for each family to last 3 days each month, better than nothing but we as a people should do better. I saw in the paper today that PEI residents donated over $60,000.oo to hurrican relief in USA. It is a wonder gesture but when we have children going to bed & getting up the next day & going to school without breakfast here in PEI I think we want to review our priorities. USA is the richest country in the world and they should be looking after their own as we should be doing here in Canada as we have the resorces to do it. For 3'rd world countries we should be doing a lot more than the exploitation we are doing now. Child labor at very little pay, long hours, no benefits, but good for the bottom line for the owners & stores who buy the stuff to sell to a willing customer. The next time you buy something from an overseas sweat shop think just how lucky you are your children are not workers there.
Well I guess that is my rant for today & before you think I am all mouth & no action I have found a family of 4 that needs a hand up this Christmas so I will adopt them this year with some help from some special people. I am hoping to have a benefit concert for the food bank in Jan. or Feb. time frame, would have it sooner but local letter carriers had a drive in last 3 weeks and collected well over $20,000.oo worth of food. We should all do our part to make our little part of the world special and a wonderful place for all to live.

Till next time:

Todays facts:
PEI is from 3 to 35 miles wide, 135 miles long, and has a population of approx 143,000 residents.

1 Comments:

Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

oh you are back! I did not realise it!!!

October 22, 2005 at 9:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home