These are the musings of a retired male. Some may be interesting, some may be boring, but all will be true. It will contain info om PEI and some links I find interesting. Pull up a chair and enjoy.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Jake

Today I am going tell you about Jake the cat. Many years ago Jake showed up at our door about the 20'th of December half starved and slightly beat up. The lady of the house went to Sobeys and got some food for him but he was a very timid cat and would only eat if the food was placed a distance from the door and you came back in the house. This went on for about two weeks and believe me folks it is not warm on PEI in December. Well I must admit that cats are smart but so are wives as every day the food would be placed a little closer to the door. Finally on New Years Day when the door was opened early to feed Jake he simply walked in curled up on the wife's knee and went to sleep. We have been blessed with Jake since that day. This was 15 years ago and Jake is still master of the house, you know what they say, you call a dog and he comes, you call a cat and they take a message.
Jake was an abused and abandoned cat before he choose us to be his companions, at first he was very comfortable with the lady of the house but had little to do with me and we figure had a bad experience with a male. If people don't like animals that is their business just stay away from them. Anybody who is cruel to animals is not someone you can trust in my book and will never be a friend of mine. Soon though with my winning smile and wonderful personality I won Jakes friendship.
Well Jake is still with us, getting up in cat years and if I wrote this piece for hundreds of pages I could never tell all the joy Jake has brought to this home.
Over the years Jake has had his health problems, a few years ago he had kidney problems which meant a few days stay at the vet clinic. Next one of his eyes started to act up so its back to the vet clinic and the removal of his right eye, followed to a trip to the vet collage in Ch'town. This past winter the poor old bugger went deaf. Nothing seems to bother him no matter what happens to him he takes it in stride and roams around the house purring.
I like to say I have the best looking nicest one eyed deaf cat this side of Venus, and I mean that.
Jake has been a great companion and a wonderful pet to us and my wish is everyone could have a Jake and experience the joy he has brought to our lives. I read somewhere that people with pets live a more satisfied life and you will get no argument from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home